August 12, 2010

One Year Old!

What a fabulous day:)  Today was Whit's official birthday, and throughout the entire day I would see a clock and think, "last year I was..."  What a day that was!  I'm pretty sure that Luke has completely blocked it out-especially the last couple of hours.  For me, all I have to do is think about it for a moment and it's like I'm watching a movie in my mind.  I was using a different blog at that time, and because this is my primary journal, I want to share just a few moments from that day...
We drove to the hospital around 7:00, ready to go!  The morning was fairly slow, which I had expected since they were inducing me.  By early afternoon, things were moving along well, but I was experiencing back labor, so I was ready for my epidural.  That was one of my big fears going in; fortunately I had a wonderful anesthesiologist who did a great job.  After that, I was feeling good:)  The afternoon/evening were fine...our families arrived for the big moment and we had some nice time together.  By 9:00, it was time to start pushing.  Our family members came into the room and prayed for God's provision...the next few hours were some of the most difficult I have ever experienced, but I felt His presence and the prayers being offered.  I pushed for an hour and a half-trying various procedures and positions, but Whit's head was simply too large.  The worst part of the experience was that 20 minutes into pushing, my epidural wore off, so I was exhausted and in so much pain.  Eventually, it was determined that I needed a c-section, so off we went to surgery.  My medication was not kicking back in quick enough, so they had to put me out completely...I awoke around 12:30 and finally got to meet my beautiful baby boy!  It was such a long day, but completely worth it!
Now...that little tiny baby is crawling, standing, talking, laughing, discovering, learning, and growing before our eyes!  He has completely changed our lives for the better, and we loved our life before Whit was here.  I can't count the number of times Luke and I have said to each other, "We are so blessed," or "He is such a precious boy," or "How did we get so lucky?"  He is just amazing!  Today we celebrated his birthday by having lunch in Mazon with daddy during band camp, swimming in his pool this afternoon, and having homemade mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese for dinner.  We didn't have any cake, so he got to try chocolate pudding for the first time!  He seemed to be a fan and I think he had a great first birthday!  I can't imagine what the next year will bring...
Happy birthday Whit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment